Although November has two birthstones, Citrine and Topaz, Topaz has long been the traditional birthstone for the month. In our history, just about all orange and yellow gemstones were considered to be Topaz because of their similar coloring, but Topaz is actually found in a variety of vibrant colors, and can even be colorless.
How Topaz Got Its Name
Topaz’s name has Greek origin and was known as “Topazios,” the Ancient Greek name they gave St. John’s Island in the Red Sea. Although topaz wasn’t mined there, it was once a rich source of Peridot, which before mineralogy, was easily confused with Topaz.
Interestingly enough, some scholars believe Topaz originated from the Sanskrit word “topas” or “tapaz”, which both mean fire. This is fitting considering the rich orangey-yellow hues Topaz can typically exhibit.
Topaz Birthstone Jewelry
If you read our blog on sapphire birthstone jewelry (which is also an excellent gift for the 45th wedding anniversary), then you’ll know about the Mohs Scale of Hardness. On this scale, topaz ranks 8, and when it's correctly cut, it makes a fantastic option for fine and fashion jewelry, especially when incorporated into pendants and drop earrings.
With so many color options, it’s no wonder our customers love shopping for fine topaz jewelry to gift to a special someone in their life. The vibrant pop of color is an ideal accent for rings, bracelets, earrings, and necklaces, and is highly appreciated by our fashion-forward clientele that loves to express some personality through their accessories.
Other Interesting Facts About Topaz Jewelry
- Imperial Topaz, the rarest and most valuable variety of topaz due to its beautiful pinkish-orange undertones, was mined in the Ural Mountains of Russia. This variety was named “Imperial” to honor the Russian czar, so only those in the royal family could own it.
- The ancient Greeks wore topaz jewelry because they believed it offered them strength.
- During the Renaissance period, people wore topaz jewelry because they believed it could break magic spells and rid them of any anger.
- In India, people often wore topaz above the heart because they believed it ensured a long life, beauty, and intelligence.
- Light blue topaz can be found in Texas, so it became the official state gemstone in 1969.
Fine and Fashion Topaz Birthstone Jewelry at ALKU Modern Jewelers
At ALKU Modern Jewelers in Katy, Texas, we offer lovingly curated fine jewelry and fashion jewelry, as well as custom-design jewelry services. If you have yet to find the perfect gift for a friend or family member's birthday coming up, please contact us today so we can help you find or create a thoughtful piece of jewelry that will be cherished forever.